Posts for tag: Asthma Treatment
Asthma is a chronic condition that can make it difficult to breathe. Adrian Varela, MD, your ENT in Milwaukie, OR, at Northwest ENT & Allergy Care PC, is here to share information about asthma that will help you decide if you need treatment.
What is asthma?
Asthma occurs when the airways in your lungs narrow, swell and produce too much mucus. When these symptoms occur, it's much harder to move air in and out of your lungs efficiently.
What are the symptoms of asthma?
Common symptoms of asthma include:
- Pain or tightness in the chest
- Shortness of breath
- Difficulty sleeping
Allergies or illnesses can trigger asthma symptoms or make them worse. If you have exercise-induced asthma, you may notice symptoms after you exercise or participate in strenuous activities.
When should I seek treatment for asthma symptoms?
Coughing alone isn't necessarily a symptom of asthma, as it can accompany colds or the flu. If you have a cough that doesn't go away or have any of the other symptoms listed above, you might have asthma. Your ear, nose and throat (ENT) doctor in Milwaukie can provide a diagnosis and offer treatments that will help you breathe better if you do have asthma. It's important to see your doctor as soon as possible if you have any trouble breathing, as asthma can be a life-threatening condition if isn't controlled properly.
How can an ENT help me?
An ENT can offer several treatment options depending on the severity of your symptoms. He may recommend daily use of an inhaler that contains corticosteroids. Corticosteroids are drugs that control your symptoms and help decrease flare-ups. You may also be encouraged to use a rescue inhaler in addition to your daily inhaler to quickly relieve symptoms when you have an asthma flare-up. Other treatment options include inhalers that combine corticosteroids with a long-acting beta-agonist, a medication that helps open your airways, or oral medications.
Worried that you may have asthma? Call Dr. Varela, your ENT in Milwaukie, OR, at Northwest ENT & Allergy Care PC, at (503) 513-8693 and schedule an appointment today!
May is National Asthma and Allergy Awareness Month
3 Asthma Facts You Should Know
- Asthma attacks are triggered by allergens, exercise, smoke, pollution, or airway infections.
- Asthma is the number one reason why children are missing school, which accounts for over 10 million missed school days a year.
- It is a common myth that a child will outgrow his or her asthma. In fact, children with persistent asthma still have symptoms into adulthood.
3 Allergy Facts You Should Know
- There is no cure for allergies, but there is symptom relief through modification and prevention.
- Timing is key when taking your medications for your allergy—you should begin taking your medication two weeks before symptoms typically begin.
- Allergies are on the rise, as more adults and children are diagnosed with allergies every year.